Mark Your Calendar

A memorial service for Pammie will be held at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Oct. 1, at All Souls Episcopal Church, 2300 Cathedral Ave. NW. http://www.allsoulsdc.org/



Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Pammie And Halloween

     Of the many charming and funny memories of Pammie that I relish, her love of Halloween is right up there near the top. One Halloween in particular cracks me up.  I was driving home from work after picking up my son Danny from school. We pulled into the driveway, and I saw what to the best of my memory was a rhinoceros, anyway a fearsome beast, walking in the front door. 
     The rhinoceros extended from a sharp horn, to a long snout with a toothy scowl, all the way down to his hips.  Below the hips extended two spindly little legs that looked quite human.  Danny and I followed the rhinoceros into the lobby, and I said, tentatively, "Pammie, is that you?"  A quiet, frustrated voice floated out of the toothy mouth:  "I've been in this lobby for hours and everyone who goes by says 'Hi, Pammie,' 'Hi, Pammie,' 'Happy Halloween, Pammie!' Honestly!"
     To this day I laugh when I think about that lovely encounter. I also treasure memories of all the treats, for Danny and for our dog Woton, that we would find at our door before Halloween, and other holidays, lighting up life after a hard day. How will we get through Halloween?


From Marianna Ohe

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful story. I can hear Pammie's voice in that "Honestly!" Thanks, Marianna and Sue.
    --Kerry

    ReplyDelete